We are GLM. We know our world faces great challenges. We believe we have a vital role to play in its conservation and in adapting the built environment to change.
Are you an architect who was attracted into the profession in the first place for much the same reasons? Do you want to help clients to make the most of their land and buildings? Above all do you want to expand your professional horizons and be involved in creative and exciting projects?
We’re looking for a Senior Architect to join our Highland team, based in Inverness.
Do you share our ambition for Architecture in the Highlands? Do you delight in imaginative design and take pride in effective implementation and teamwork? Would you be excited to combine your architectural skills with other equally skilled and passionate professionals in the task of creating and repurposing buildings? How much satisfaction would you take in confidently knowing the buildings you work on will stand proud and stand the test of time?
Could you work in areas as diverse as Wick or the Western Isles, Oban or Aberdeen and understand how the performance of every new or existing building in-between impacts the people and communities that live, work and play in them?
Do you want to fine-tune your skills with a diverse range of existing buildings and client-types so that you confidently deal with listed buildings, mid-century conversions and adaptive re-use of any building in the Highlands?
Do you want to unlock the potential in sites with creative, inspiring new buildings?
You’ll deploy your natural creativity from a solid technical base and deliver jobs from start to finish – inspired scheme design, confident approach to planning, thorough technical design, deft procurement and careful, diligent, efficient management of the works.
GLM is one of Scotland’s leading design and project management consultancies comprising award winning Architects, Building Surveyors and Project Managers.
We bring sharp insight, imaginative design and effective implementation to the creation, reuse and adaptation of buildings. We make buildings that stand proud and will stand the test of time. And, if we can do it with the lightest touch, doing more with less, then all the better!
GLM is a full-service company. We operate what we build, and we build what we design. Our ability to appraise, design, construct and operate sets us apart in the market giving clients a unique opportunity to engage with a professional adviser and facilitator with a difference. That difference being the expertise we have as a result of our focus on the delivery of a project from inception (briefing and feasibility) all the way through design and technical development to construction and building management. This focus ensures the long-term growth of our Team and business.
What we’re looking for
You should be a qualified Architect with at least 3 years post qualification experience. Your experience should cover all work stages, from brief taking and feasibility to developing scheme design, preparing planning and listed building applications, developing design and obtaining building warrants, preparing tender documents and running the procurement process, as well as acting as contract administrator and monitoring the works on site.
The person we’re looking for understands and aligns with the GLM Vision and Culture and will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Customer focused: Considers what adds value to the customer and how they want it delivered; wins referrals and repeat business
- Time management: Sets their own goals, prioritises activities, discriminating between the “Urgent” and the “Important”
- Communication: Actively listens and asks questions; exhibits open and challenging communications Promotes challenging communications with empathy and rapport
- Teamwork: Considers the impact on others and the business when planning and prioritising workload. Promotes a collaborative, value stream-based team culture
- Diligence: Conscientiously carries out tasks and meets level of quality expected after checking and taking direction from Line Manager. Manages projects in a way that delivers business and project objectives.
- Technically focused: Able to produce accurate and appropriate technical details for specific building types and situations. Investigates possible solutions to problems before seeking advice from senior colleagues.
- Accountability: Uses experience and support from peers to make decisions.
- Drive: Consistently meets level of expected quality with minimal input from others. Looks for challenging assignments, learns and recovers quickly from failure.
- Leadership: Successfully leads teams or projects using effective leadership styles, gaining the respect of others.
What we can give you
As part of our new Inverness based team you will collaborate with Edinburgh-based colleagues to deal with a growing workload which will see you delivering a wide range of architectural services across the Highlands and Islands and at times further afield, so you should be able to travel and work away from home from time to time.
We will give you the opportunity to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, alongside some of the country’s leading specialists, on some of the most important buildings as well as many that make our economy tick.
You will play a key role in the growth of our Highland presence and will work with a high degree of autonomy. You’ll be supported in developing your reputation within a unique and forward-thinking organisation.
We will coach and mentor you so that, two years in, you’ll be ready to step up to Associate Director level, having further developed your client base and support team in the Highlands.
You will deliver complex and interesting projects in beautiful locations.
The market competitive remuneration package will reflect the demanding nature of the position and is negotiable based on experience and what you will bring to the business. Future earnings and opportunities are limited only by your ambition and success.
If you have the ambition to match our vision, please email a covering letter detailing what you can bring to GLM, your CV and current portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12noon on Friday, 15 November 2019.