When we take on a graduate we expect that, two years in, they are still enthralled by the construction industry. It’ll have been a tough two years, with a steep learning curve, and a few difficult moments. The work will have been technically challenging, with demanding clients and the expectation that you’ll fulfil a wide range of roles – designer, cost manager, building pathologist, report writer, client expectation manager. But throughout all this you’ll have been supported: encouraged to take the right risks to grow as a professional and a person, seen remote parts of Scotland and worked with some remarkable buildings and clients. By this point you’ll be preparing for your APC final assessment with a solid technical background and a quiet confidence that you’ll get through – we do after all have a 100% record.
GLM are looking for a confident, open minded, technically focussed graduate building surveyor to join our team in the summer of 2019. Our ideal candidate will be:
- Qualified to Degree level (min 2:1) in Building Survey or other RICS accredited degree.
- IT literate, particularly in Microsoft packages.
- Proficient in AutoCAD.
- Diligent with good attention to detail.
- Excited by interesting buildings and technically well grounded.
- Proactive and self-motivated/ self-reliant.
- An excellent communicator both in person and through written correspondence.
- Creative and passionate about the built environment.
- You will have the ability to rapidly become a productive fee earner within our team and you will have a passion to develop the skills and the knowledge base necessary to qualify as a chartered building surveyor.
You will assist with in-depth building condition surveys and this will sometimes involve some of the most remarkable buildings in the country.You will learn how to advise clients on both historic and modern buildings and you will develop an understanding of the needs of private and commercial clients.
You will work with our architects on remarkable building projects and with our project managers in the co-ordination and delivery of construction and refurbishment projects in some of the most beautiful parts of Scotland.
Assessment of Professional Competence (APC)
As a graduate building surveyor, you are gaining experience and working towards your APC. We provide a supportive learning environment in which graduates have the opportunity to shadow, work side by side and assist Scotland’s top building surveyors including the past Chairman of RICS Scotland and one of the country’s few conservation accredited building surveyors. We are proud of our 100% APC pass rate for our graduates and we will take your training very seriously.
What to do
If you would like to kick off your career with GLM please email a CV with a cover letter and video outlining what you would bring to GLM to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is Friday 1st March 2019 at 12 noon.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.