We are GLM. We know our world faces great challenges. We believe we have a vital role to play in its conservation and in adapting the built environment to change.
Are you a building surveyor who was attracted into the profession in the first place for much the same reasons? Do you want to help clients to make the most of their buildings? Above all do you want to expand your professional horizons and be involved in creative and exciting projects?
Chartered Building Surveyor
We’re looking for a Chartered Building Surveyor to join our Highland team, based in Inverness.
Do you share our ambition for Building Surveying in the Highlands? Are you design and project-orientated? Are you able to pivot between working up a specification or building warrant, to explaining to a client progress of work onsite, running an efficient site meeting or producing a monthly progress and cost report?
Can you see the similarity between your ability to diagnose a defect in a castle and using the same skill-set to appraise an agricultural shed? Can you work with the wealthiest landowners in Scotland as well as some of the most innovative housing associations?
Could you work in areas as diverse as Wick or the Western Isles, Oban or Aberdeen?
Are you an advocate for building surveying as the lead profession in the care of our existing built heritage and environment?
GLM is one of Scotland’s leading design and project management consultancies comprising award winning Architects, Building Surveyors and Project Managers.
We bring sharp insight, imaginative design and effective implementation to the creation, reuse and adaptation of buildings. We make buildings that stand proud and will stand the test of time. And, if we can do it with the lightest touch, doing more with less, then all the better!
GLM is a full-service company. We operate what we build, and we build what we design. Our ability to appraise, design, construct and operate sets us apart in the market giving clients a unique opportunity to engage with a professional adviser and facilitator with a difference. That difference being the expertise we have as a result of our focus on the delivery of a project from inception all the way through design and technical development to construction and building management. This focus ensures the long-term growth of our Team and business.
What we’re looking for
You should be a Chartered Building Surveyor (MRICS), with up to 3 years post qualification experience. Your experience should cover the breadth of Building Surveying, including appraisal and reporting, defects diagnosis and remediation, dilapidations, design, making planning and building warrant applications, tendering and monitoring works on site.
The person we’re looking for understands and aligns with the GLM Vision and Culture and will be able to demonstrate the following skills:
- Customer focused: Considers what adds value to the customer and how they want it delivered; wins referrals and repeat business
- Time management: Sets their own goals, prioritises activities, discriminating between the “Urgent” and the “Important”
- Communication: Actively listens and asks questions; exhibits open and challenging communications
- Teamwork: Considers the impact on others and the business when planning and prioritising workload.
- Diligence: Conscientiously carries out tasks and meets level of quality expected after checking and taking direction from Line Manager. Manages projects in a way that delivers business and project objectives.
- Technically focused: Able to produce accurate and appropriate technical details for specific building types and situations. Investigates possible solutions to problems before seeking advice from senior colleagues.
- Drive: Consistently meets level of expected quality with minimal input from others. Proactively looks for ways to gain experience and build competence and confidence.
- Leadership: Is aware of the different leadership styles & demonstrates the ability to use them appropriately
What we can give you
As part of our new Inverness based team you will collaborate with Edinburgh-based colleagues to deal with a growing workload which will see you delivering a wide range of building surveying services across the Highlands and Islands and at times further afield, so you should be able to travel and work away from home from time to time.
We will give you the opportunity to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, alongside some of the country’s leading specialists, on some of the most important buildings as well as many that make our economy tick.
You will play a key role in the growth of our Highland presence and will work with a high degree of autonomy. You’ll be supported in developing your reputation within a unique and forward-thinking organisation.
We will coach and mentor you so that, two years in, you’ll be ready to step up to Senior level, having helped develop the client base and delivered great work in the Highlands.
You will deliver complex and interesting projects in beautiful locations.
The market competitive remuneration package will reflect the demanding nature of the position and is negotiable based on experience and what you will bring to the business. Future earnings and opportunities are limited only by your ambition and success.
If you have the ambition to match our vision, please email your CV with a covering letter detailing what you can bring to GLM, to email@example.com by 12noon on Friday, 15 November 2019.